• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separate property in KY?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sasparkle

What is the name of your state? AZ

I purchased an old home for renovation in KY, with money inherited from my father. The house is in my name only. My husband abandoned us, I moved to AZ and need to sell the house. I am informed by the realtor that because KY is a "community" state, my spouse needs to agree and sign the deed - is that correct?
Secondly - my spouse informed me that he will only sign the deed if I agree have three documents drawn up - one for repayment of a plane ticket he bought me to come visit him - which I did not use - and the other for a cellphone bill (my only means of communication after he left, used with his permission). Thirdly, a paper stating I will not claim anything from him in the divorce. I feel under pressure to sign these, as I need the money from the house to support myself and my son..! Please advise?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
sasparkle said:
What is the name of your state? AZ

I purchased an old home for renovation in KY, with money inherited from my father. The house is in my name only. My husband abandoned us, I moved to AZ and need to sell the house. I am informed by the realtor that because KY is a "community" state, my spouse needs to agree and sign the deed - is that correct?
Secondly - my spouse informed me that he will only sign the deed if I agree have three documents drawn up - one for repayment of a plane ticket he bought me to come visit him - which I did not use - and the other for a cellphone bill (my only means of communication after he left, used with his permission). Thirdly, a paper stating I will not claim anything from him in the divorce. I feel under pressure to sign these, as I need the money from the house to support myself and my son..! Please advise?
Get yourself an attorney. YOu may be able to get temporary spousal support and definitely child support if your son is his as well. Sign nothing until you find out your rights.

sasparkle

AZ

Thanks - I do want to know if he can lay claim to the house bought in KY from an inheritance, solely in my name, never from a joint account?
He did put labor in it, and bought some supplies..

LdiJ

sasparkle said:
AZ

Thanks - I do want to know if he can lay claim to the house bought in KY from an inheritance, solely in my name, never from a joint account?
He did put labor in it, and bought some supplies..
Normally an inheritance is separate property. Since you didn't co-mingle the funds into a joint account or jointly owned property it should remain your property.

The fact that he put labor into it an bought some supplies might cause a judge to give him some "credit"....but a local attorney would best be able to answer that question.

sasparkle

AZ

Thank you - another question: he refuses to sign the deed without me drawing up papers saying that I'll pay him back for previous-mentioned expenses, as well as a paper saying I will not ask for anything of him when we divorce. Is this a form of blackmail/extortion?

LdiJ

sasparkle said:
AZ

Thank you - another question: he refuses to sign the deed without me drawing up papers saying that I'll pay him back for previous-mentioned expenses, as well as a paper saying I will not ask for anything of him when we divorce. Is this a form of blackmail/extortion?
To some extent it is, but its nothing that you could get him prosecuted for.
However, I am not entirely sure that the realtor is correct that he has to sign the deed....which is why you need to consult with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">