• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separate v marriage property quandry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

svt

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My estranged husband is going to claim the house as his separate property, as 'it was his money from before we married' that put the downpayment on the house'.

Our money was pooled jointly from the time we moved in (and I began working) until six months later when he was removed from the residence for domestic violence, and I was awarded the house in the post separation support.

I've looked at the statutes, and it seems to be a very fine line as to whether he will be able to claim this house as 'his' - even though I've lived in it for a year, and contributed to remodeling, painting, landscaping - and the mortgage payments through the joint accounts we during the six months he lived here.

What might help me tip the scales in my favor?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">