• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separated for over 25 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harleyrider56

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My wife and I have been separated for 27 years. She lives in Texas and I have been living in Nevada for 7 months. Would we still have to enter financial statements, even though we have not been together for over 25 years? I mean we've always wanted the divorce, but neither of us could afford it. Now I am able to get this matter done, so that we can let our current partners be our legal partners.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My wife and I have been separated for 27 years. She lives in Texas and I have been living in Nevada for 7 months. Would we still have to enter financial statements, even though we have not been together for over 25 years? I mean we've always wanted the divorce, but neither of us could afford it. Now I am able to get this matter done, so that we can let our current partners be our legal partners.
You can waive access to the financial statements. Basically, one of you files for divorce and then you present a proposed divorce decree to the court with appropriately worded documents stating that you both waive alimony, division of assets, etc. The judge would mostly likely approve the decree on that basis. If there are children, you'll need to provide for child support at or close to state guidelines or the judge might reject it. The judge would mostly likely approve the decree on that basis.

You might want to look at which state would be easiest to get the divorce in by checking the rules in both states. Nevada certainly has that reputation, but I haven't done the research to verify. Just google the divorce rules in each state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">