• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separated spouse witholding belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cookiedough

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana; I am currently separated from my husband, but no formal paperwork has been filed due to neither one of us being able to hire an attorney right now. I still have personal belongings in the marital home that he is living in i.e. clothing, shoes, a piano that was mine before we got married, etc. He has changed the locks. Recently a friend of ours visited the house and said that all of my belongings were no longer there. Do I have any rights to go to the home and get my belongings or do I have to wait until we have an attorney?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana; I am currently separated from my husband, but no formal paperwork has been filed due to neither one of us being able to hire an attorney right now. I still have personal belongings in the marital home that he is living in i.e. clothing, shoes, a piano that was mine before we got married, etc. He has changed the locks. Recently a friend of ours visited the house and said that all of my belongings were no longer there. Do I have any rights to go to the home and get my belongings or do I have to wait until we have an attorney?
You have every right to go into the marital home.

However, given your other post about his meddling GF, that might not be the smartest move. Your best move would be to file for divorce (you don't NEED an attorney, although it helps) and ask for all of your property to be returned to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">