• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separated with wife and she is applying for food stamps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wmadtruly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

My wife and I seperated about three months ago. We lived in Michigan when the separation occurred, but she decided to leave to Florida as soon as everything went down. Naturally I followed in order to be near my daughter. Now, she is living with her mother and I am living with a friend of mine. My wife's mother is asking her to sign up for food stamps and she is now asking me for my social security number and address in order to sign up.

I have been told that if she continues with this course of action the state of Florida will attempt to pursue me for child support. I am currently unemployed because my life has been a total wreck since my wife left me and took my daughter with her.

So my questions are:

Is it true that the state of Florida will pursue me for child support if she applies for food stamps while we live at seperate addresses?

Is it against the law for my wife to use my information without my consent to apply for food stamps?

I am in desperate need of legal advice. Any information that you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LCMoon

Firstly she cannot add you to her "case file" for food stamps without your permission. Even if you are married you can be added or combined to any welfare file. I know this because while I was separated from my husband he added himself to another woman and her two kids welfare account while I had my own individual food stamp account. Secondly, the part that she may be missing is that if you are on the account with her and the child then the state will not pursue you because you'll be viewed as a unit. Thirdly, applying for state assistance in all states will cause the other parent father/mother to be pursued for child support regardless of marital status because the state views this as proof that the other parent is not helping enough and the parent filing cannot support him or herself alone. The state wants their funds back. However, some states will only pursue if TANF is received while other states will initiate pursuit simply for food stamps.
Fourthly, I would under no circumstances give the mother your information as she obviously has malicious intent and having your s.s. number could lead to stolen identitiy, forged loans etc. If you want you could apply for food stamps yourself with your name as head of household and just allow her to use your benefits. It would protect you from her motives but also give you a leg up in being able to assist with something for your baby while your scrambling to get your life back together.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Secondly, the part that she may be missing is that if you are on the account with her and the child then the state will not pursue you because you'll be viewed as a unit. Thirdly, applying for state assistance in all states will cause the other parent father/mother to be pursued for child support regardless of marital status because the state views this as proof that the other parent is not helping enough and the parent filing cannot support him or herself alone.
These two statements are contradictory. The first one is wrong.

LdiJ

Firstly she cannot add you to her "case file" for food stamps without your permission. Even if you are married you can be added or combined to any welfare file. I know this because while I was separated from my husband he added himself to another woman and her two kids welfare account while I had my own individual food stamp account. Secondly, the part that she may be missing is that if you are on the account with her and the child then the state will not pursue you because you'll be viewed as a unit. Thirdly, applying for state assistance in all states will cause the other parent father/mother to be pursued for child support regardless of marital status because the state views this as proof that the other parent is not helping enough and the parent filing cannot support him or herself alone. The state wants their funds back. However, some states will only pursue if TANF is received while other states will initiate pursuit simply for food stamps.
Fourthly, I would under no circumstances give the mother your information as she obviously has malicious intent and having your s.s. number could lead to stolen identitiy, forged loans etc. If you want you could apply for food stamps yourself with your name as head of household and just allow her to use your benefits. It would protect you from her motives but also give you a leg up in being able to assist with something for your baby while your scrambling to get your life back together.
The bolded is some of the worst advice I have ever seen. That is basically suggesting that you commit welfare fraud.

She doesn't need your social to get food stamps however, but if Florida wants to go after you for support they will anyway, it will just have to put a little more effort into it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">