• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separated and wife still wants me to pay bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

disgruntleddad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

I was thrown out of my house 3 months ago. We have been married for 10 years and have 2 minor children. My wife changed the locks and refuses to let me retrieve my belongings. She has been demanding that I pay the mortgage, utlity bills, car notes for 2 vehicles, auto insurance, and child support. I agreed to pay child support but I have not lived there for 3 months and feel that this is her responsibility. Monday I was served with a child support order with a court date in May. The order does not specify anything about her filing a separation, visitation of my kids, or even divorce.

Am I responsible for her bills right now, and what are my rights as far as her changing the locks on me to our home that is in both of our names. She is also asking me to return my car that I paid cash for after Hurricane Katrina. She too has a vehicle and without my car, I am unable to commute back and forth to work. Is she able to take my car that is in both of our names? I am so confused.....

disgruntleddad

Can she file for child support even though we are still legally married and not legally separated or divorced? I don't mind paying child support, but I am trying to ponder why she did not file for separation/divorce first??

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

I was thrown out of my house 3 months ago. We have been married for 10 years and have 2 minor children. My wife changed the locks and refuses to let me retrieve my belongings. She has been demanding that I pay the mortgage, utlity bills, car notes for 2 vehicles, auto insurance, and child support. I agreed to pay child support but I have not lived there for 3 months and feel that this is her responsibility. Monday I was served with a child support order with a court date in May. The order does not specify anything about her filing a separation, visitation of my kids, or even divorce.

Am I responsible for her bills right now, and what are my rights as far as her changing the locks on me to our home that is in both of our names. She is also asking me to return my car that I paid cash for after Hurricane Katrina. She too has a vehicle and without my car, I am unable to commute back and forth to work. Is she able to take my car that is in both of our names? I am so confused.....

wow. really? are you aware you were illegally evicted? she cannot kick you out of your own home.

child support will not cover the marital items or visitation. you need to file for divorce and handle that asap.

disgruntleddad

So how do I get my belongings. I have a shop in the back of the house that I work out of and that is how I make my living. So she can file for child support without us being separated or divorced? I will file asap.

Thank you again.

Isis1

So how do I get my belongings. I have a shop in the back of the house that I work out of and that is how I make my living. So she can file for child support without us being separated or divorced? I will file asap.

Thank you again.
she sure can!

you're welcome!

disgruntleddad

a few more questions...what about my vehicle. can she have that taken away from me if it is in both of our names? and am I legally responsible for bills that I did not incur while living in the house? I already gave her $350 last month and the month prior to that for child support. I do not have a problem paying child support, but I can't survive on my own if I have to continue to pay all of her bills from the point that I left. She quit her job before she threw me out and I have another child from a previous marriage that I currently pay $550 a month for.

Thank you again.

Isis1

a few more questions...what about my vehicle. can she have that taken away from me if it is in both of our names? and am I legally responsible for bills that I did not incur while living in the house? I already gave her $350 last month and the month prior to that for child support. I do not have a problem paying child support, but I can't survive on my own if I have to continue to pay all of her bills from the point that I left. She quit her job before she threw me out and I have another child from a previous marriage that I currently pay $550 a month for.

Thank you again.
Lousianna is a community property state. all likelyhood, you will keep one car....she will keep the other. because the car she is driving still has monies owed, then other property will have to be traded to make up for the debt if she maintains that vehicle. a judge can sort it all out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">