• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

babybean01

colorado-

my husband and i are separated. i have our child in colorado and he is living in arizona. he is helping pay for the child and what not. but my question is, is what does a legal separation entail? we decided we need to work out some of our own issues separately and if we do get back together it might not be until next may. so if we get legal separated what do we do about our taxes. because like i said he is helping take care of the child and helping pay the bills and all. but if he has to claim anything less on his taxes or i have to claim differently, he will not be able to support his child like he is right now. so do we verbally say we are separated and leave it at that or if we are going to be apart for the next 8 month do we have to draw up papers and get legally separated? thanx!!!!!!!!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I believe that until you're actually divorced, you still have to file married - either jointly or separately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">