• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sevengables

djohnson-please help again

What is the name of your state? CA
If living in CA while married and spouse moves out of state, can the spouse that moved away from CA file for separation in CA if residency is now in another state?

djohnson-see my last response to you below. Your advice (or anyone else's) is greatly appreciated and needed.

Last edited:

djohnson

You file where your residency is. That spouse may not have been in the other state long enough to be a resident yet.

S

sevengables

Thanks djohnson-2nd quest

I am the spouse that moved out of state and have lived outside of CA long enough to establish residency in another state. I've been advised here in TX that if I file in Tx, Tx wouldn't have jurisdiciton over our assets. My husband won't file in CA and has moved assets from our home while I was out of state. It's my understanding (correct me if i'm wrong) you can file legal separation in either state but the actual divorce must take place where the petitioner has legal residency. I just want to get the ball rolling. I'm not working presently....have to take care of an elderly parent, but hope to get some help soon and go back to work. Until then, my finances are limited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">