• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bb2147

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I recently moved out of my home and separated from my wife. Is there anything I should do to protect myself until I file for divorce? We have 2 children, ages 14 & 17. I plan to continue to pay household bills until divorced.

Thank-you

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I recently moved out of my home and separated from my wife. Is there anything I should do to protect myself until I file for divorce? We have 2 children, ages 14 & 17. I plan to continue to pay household bills until divorced.

Thank-you
Protect yourself from what/how? Is there something particular that you are worried about? Its wise to continue paying the household bills to protect your credit. DO NOT cancel any insurance.

mistoffolees

Protect yourself from what/how? Is there something particular that you are worried about? Its wise to continue paying the household bills to protect your credit. DO NOT cancel any insurance.
If you wish to have sole custody or shared physical custody, moving out of the house and leaving the kids with stbx is generally a bad idea.

bb2147

Protect myself - can she say I deserted her or something? As far as my children go, I plan on filing for joint custody, they would live with their mother and I will see them frequently. I do that now.

LdiJ

Protect myself - can she say I deserted her or something? As far as my children go, I plan on filing for joint custody, they would live with their mother and I will see them frequently. I do that now.
No, you cannot get in any trouble for abandonment/desertion or anything like that.

mistoffolees

You can't get into trouble for desertion.

As for custody, you should be OK, but try to see them as much now as you would hope to see them in the future. The court likes to enforce the status quo. If you're seeing them one evening a month while the divorce is pending, there's a chance you will only be seeing them one evening a month after the divorce. Likewise, if you have them every other weekend and every Wednesday now, chances are that's what you'll be able to get for the future.

If the separation is amicable, it wouldn't hurt to write down what your expectations are with respect to custody and visitation and having both parents sign it. It's not necessary, nor is it actually binding, but it does indicate that the two of you are working together to make sure that the kids don't get short-changed. In particular, if your stbx were to try to get sole custody on the basis of you leaving the house and the kids, it would support your statement that you were in agreement on custody and visitation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">