• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kchambers64

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN and NJ

I have a notarized Seperation Agreement between myself and my estranged husband. This document states he is responsible for all current joint held fianances that were created prior to 2/17/10. NJ doesn't recognize legal seperations so we decided to draw this document up. He lives in NJ and I live in IN.

Is this considered a legal document? Even though it was not put through the judical system?

LdiJ

I have a notarized Seperation Agreement between myself and my estranged husband. This document states he is responsible for all current joint held fianances that were created prior to 2/17/10. NJ doesn't recognize legal seperations so we decided to draw this document up. He lives in NJ and I live in IN.

Is this considered a legal document? Even though it was not put through the judical system?
Well, it could possibly be upheld as a contract, depending on how its worded, but otherwise no, its not a legal document.

mistoffolees

Probably not, but you could file for legal separation in IN if you've lived there long enough to establish residency. If you bring in that document, you may be able to get those terms incorporated in the legal separation.

There is a problem of enforcement, though. Did he live in IN at one time? If so, the court is likely to have jurisdiction over him. OTOH, if he never lived in IN, the court would not be able to enforce the order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">