• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation agreements whilst out of the country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kataybaa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I am a Thai citizen and have been married for six months to a US citizen in the state of Virginia. Recently I returned to Thailand realising that I had made a terrible mistake by getting married. I have aksed my husband for a divorce and he says that I need to come back to the USA to sign a separation agreement. I know that a separation agreement is necessary in order to start the divorce process in six monthsw but I do not know if I need to be in the country to do this. We have no children and no joint assets at all and so the separation would be very simple. I do not want to employ an attorney given the simplicity of the separation. Can someone tell me if it is possible for my husband to write up a separation agreement and send it to me for signature whilst out of the coutry and for my husband to then submit it to the court in Virginia? Is this possible? is it necessary to submit this to the court?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I am a Thai citizen and have been married for six months to a US citizen in the state of Virginia. Recently I returned to Thailand realising that I had made a terrible mistake by getting married. I have aksed my husband for a divorce and he says that I need to come back to the USA to sign a separation agreement. I know that a separation agreement is necessary in order to start the divorce process in six monthsw but I do not know if I need to be in the country to do this. We have no children and no joint assets at all and so the separation would be very simple. I do not want to employ an attorney given the simplicity of the separation. Can someone tell me if it is possible for my husband to write up a separation agreement and send it to me for signature whilst out of the coutry and for my husband to then submit it to the court in Virginia? Is this possible? is it necessary to submit this to the court?
You do not have to be present in the US to sign a separation agreement. Yes, your husband could send you a separation agreement to sign (you would need to have the document notarized by whatever system is in use in your country) and he could submit it to the courts in VA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">