• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation, buying a car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xzenor

What is the name of your state? California
The wife and I are in the midst of a legal separation. When its all said and done, Im afraid I'll be without a dependable car. She will be taking over the car payment for the "dependable car".

My question is, how do I go about getting my name off her car, and buy myself something for myself?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? California
The wife and I are in the midst of a legal separation. When its all said and done, Im afraid I'll be without a dependable car. She will be taking over the car payment for the "dependable car".

My question is, how do I go about getting my name off her car, and buy myself something for myself?
You need your name off the title, or off the loan? If its off the title, do a transfer, if its off the loan, she will need to refinance.

xzenor

Thanks for the quick reply. This complicates things a bit. Wow, this sucks!! To bad her credit sucks, I'll have to buy with cash I guess. :mad:

xzenor

Is there a way I could make sure to be very specific in the Separation Paperwork stating The individual is responsible for "Auto-Van-xxxx" Car-Car type-Loan Number-VIN Number, etc. And have it signed by a Court Justice.

I read in another forum that it may work and will help my credit also.

Any replys will help out, Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Is there a way I could make sure to be very specific in the Separation Paperwork stating The individual is responsible for "Auto-Van-xxxx" Car-Car type-Loan Number-VIN Number, etc. And have it signed by a Court Justice.

I read in another forum that it may work and will help my credit also.

Any replys will help out, Thanks.
A creditor IS NOT a party to your divorce and therefore is NOT bound by the divorce decree/court order. You are responsible for the court order YOU signed with the lender.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">