• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation - can spouse legally lock me out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PollyWog

I have been separated from my husband for about a year (nothing legal....I just moved out.) His alcoholism, control, and other issues were more than I could take.........we've been married for 24 years, and have two adult children.

He recently changed the lock on OUR home.....which I helped pay for, and which I feel I should have access to. CAN HE LEGALLY DO THIS? He has given keys to our daughters, but refuses to give me one. (they won't give me one either....they are very loyal to their Dad.)

I live in Minnesota. We are not planning a divorce or legal separation at this time - I just want to know if I can DEMAND a key to MY house. Does he have a leg to stand on?

Thanks for any help.

JETX

Simply, if your name is on the mortgage, making you an obligee, then you have the right to access the property.

However, there may be other concerns involved; such as restraining orders, etc.

I suggest you remove your property and/or talk with an attorney, since gaining access will very probably NOT solve the true issues.

P

PollyWog

Thanks. Yes, my name is on the mortgage. I have already moved most of the things I treasure out of the house.

We have had an amicable separation up until this point. He's angry because I won't give him a key to my apartment......he has no vested interest in it, has not helped with any of my finances, and I refuse to allow him access. He has never visited me at my new place - in fact, refuses to do so. Why would I even consider giving him access to it when I'm not there?

We have no restraining orders, and our marriage wasn't physically violent. I just feel I should not be locked out of the home on which I paid more than 50%. He's just playing with my head right now - because he's angry.

I haven't consulted a lawyer, because I haven't needed to (yet.) Maybe it's time. :(

R

rhinchee

Go see a lawyer, don't wait. If you are not going to live together as married folks the property and finances will just get more and more complicated as time goes on, and if you are the more responsible one you will probably lose. Get a divorce and move on. I know I let a situation like this drag out for 5 years, it cost me money, time and agravation and did me no good.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">