• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separation and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

solutionhunter

What is the name of your state? IN

if my husband and i file for separation would he have to pay support for our two kids?

situation: he had an affair, there is a resulting child, girlfriend has support order now. if he has a support order for my two kids, would it in any way cut into her support?

we do not want to divorce. this would only be done to protect the financial interests of my children.

kat1963

Well if his paycheck is garnished up to the maximum Federal Limit & maintained there, she certainly wouldn't be able to get any kind of increase now would she?
Heck, I wish DH only had to pay the ex that much....our biotroll gets 2+grand a month (responsible for 87% of financial support). She didn't pay a dime for 7 years when DH had custody (& the kids needed babysitters!)...she doesn't work, never has, teenagers don't either, all 3 live in a little old trailer, both teens drop outs, been in juvi. What do they do all day? Long story.
Anyway, I'm not 100% certain there isn't a way to cut into what she is already getting. There might be loopholes in your state that non of us realize. I've *heard* of it being done, but it's extremely rare....
Contact your local Bar Association, ask for a pitbull family law attorney. It might cost a few $$ for the consult, but at least you would have the answers you seek.
I hate to say this, but Hubby might just have to pay for his *crime*. It's called a second job...Home Depot, Lowes on the weekends should be enough to take up the slack where the $$ are concerned...at least until he gets a raise.
BEST of LUCK to you!!! Personally, he'd have already seen my dust!
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">