• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation dates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JulieBug

What is the name of your state? CA

My husband filed for divorce in November after 9+ years of marriage. We are doing our own divorce with the help of paralegal. I did consult with an attorney in Nov.

We want the date of separation to be in April because then I (a former homemaker) can have his social security when I retire. Ten years is apparently the magic number. My lawyer indicated that if we put April as the separation date in our MSA then it will be considered as the official date of separation. She said that we could say we were trying to rekindle while allowing the wheels of the divorce to turn. Is there any other form that we need to put this date on? We are ready to file the MSA and do not want it to get kicked back to us. Any help would be appreciated.

JulieBug

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">