• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separation and debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hrtbroken

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I would like to know if I am legally obligated to my husband's debts after a legal separation. What are my legal rights financially?:confused:

JETX

"I would like to know if I am legally obligated to my husband's debts after a legal separation. What are my legal rights financially?"
*** The separation does absolutely nothing to any debt obligations. Each of you are still obligated just as before.

H

hrtbroken

so... if there is a legal separation, will I continue to be responsible for his new debts or just what we incurred when we were married? :confused: :confused:

JETX

As long as you are still married, you are just as obligated as before.

So, when/if you do decide to get a divorce, you need to make sure that you get current credit reports (not the consolidated, but one from EACH CRA) and make sure that your divorce agreement clarifies who is responsible for what.
And make sure that the order also requires EACH responsible party to pay off the account (a good way to do this is with balance transfer) to a completely new, separate account in that parties name ONLY. Otherwise, you will still be stuck with the debt obligation.... divorce orders do NOT legally separate the debt.

H

hrtbroken

thank you for your advise. Mean people stink! I have a hard time understanding why there has to be so much hate and revenge involved (my case or anyones) It is so sad. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">