• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separation/ divorce and benefits questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

myra345

I am disabled and eligible for ssi but I dont receive a check because my husband works. This also causes us to have to pay a 440 dollar spenddown to get my medicaid card every month. However, I'm moving into my mothers and we are divorcing, he is a dutch citizen and returning to holland. I am trying to find out how to accomplish these things. What I want to know is once I am with my mom, will I be able to start receiving my check again and not have to pay the spenddown so I can find a place of my own. It's going to take time to actually get the divorce but I want to be on my own and independant. I would appreaciate any help or advice with this.

Gracie3787

I am disabled and eligible for ssi but I dont receive a check because my husband works. This also causes us to have to pay a 440 dollar spenddown to get my medicaid card every month. However, I'm moving into my mothers and we are divorcing, he is a dutch citizen and returning to holland. I am trying to find out how to accomplish these things. What I want to know is once I am with my mom, will I be able to start receiving my check again and not have to pay the spenddown so I can find a place of my own. It's going to take time to actually get the divorce but I want to be on my own and independant. I would appreaciate any help or advice with this.
Go to the SSA and explain your situation to them.
As long as you and your husband are not living together and have filed for a divorce, you should be able to get your SSI restarted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">