• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation Issues

• Thread starter RedStartingOver
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RedStartingOver

What is the name of your state? North Carolina and Tennessee (pretty soon)
My husband and I are in the process of settling an ugly custody battle. We have finally come to an agreement about custody but he wants to also get a legal separation along with this custody agreement. He will not allow me to move to TN with the kids unless he has got a divorce or a legal separation filed first in NC. My question is: If we file in NC and I move to TN the end of June and he moves to TN in September, do we have to refile in TN or does the one year and a day waiting period carry over to TN? We are currently still living together, we will not get actually separated until I move. We both have lawyers but I can't get ahold of my lawyer currently (he is working on another case). I am under a time constraint. Once we agree to the terms, do we just sign papers or do we have to go before a judge and all that for a separation. No assests are being contested. We have come to complete agreement. I just need to know how long it will take to take affect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">