• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation and moving kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tom Bock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV
My wife wants a seperation and also wants to move my 2 children (14 & 11) out of Nevada to live either in Utah or California. Can she do this?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV
My wife wants a seperation and also wants to move my 2 children (14 & 11) out of Nevada to live either in Utah or California. Can she do this?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: if you file for custody with the court where you've been living with the children, she is not going to be able to get away with it. If she moves anyway, she'll be in contempt of court.

You need to see an attorney ASAP. If you act quickly, she may still be able to move the kids, but she's going to have to prove to the court that it's better for the kids to be moved - which is difficult to do. If you let her move, then the presumption that they should stay in NV gets balanced by the fact that they've already been through one move and under some circumstances, it might be better not for them to move again. However, this is unlikely. File now and ask the court to keep the children in NV and they are likely to support that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">