• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation - Name on Mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eggbert12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
I have been married 23 years and my husband is an alcoholic and will not get help. I have been to alanon, AA, counseling to try to deal with it. He's 65 and lost his job and his drinking has gotten worse. He's now gotten verbally abusive to son (18 years) and myself. My name is on mortgage with his (otherwise he could not get loan....he has 2 loans on mortgage and pays ($4,000/mo...he's trying to refinance). I do not help with mortgage as I pay for son's school tuition and all things related to son. I want to move out but am afraid if he doesn't pay mortage I'm responsible. Is there anyway I can get my name off mortgage? Most likely then he will not be able to carry the loans on his own....thanks.

eggbert12

State: North Carolina

He will not consent because then he will not get the loan..he has no income at this time..he has been unemployed.

thanks..

eggbert12

State: North Carolina

Thank you for the information to go to court for an order and have the house put up for sale and equity split. Most likely we will owe on it should it sell...but that seems the best advice.

Thanks..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">