• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seperated in PA and Question about Liability....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? PA

My husband of 23 yrs left 7 months ago. He refuses to sign any papers (like the house over to me, vehicles, file for divorce, etc). Yet he is burning bridges very quickly, already bought a car, joint bank account, engaged.....to a woman he met 6 months ago .

Emotionally and Financially am I not ready for an actual divorce, BECAUSE him leaving was a total shock to me.... right before he left we were talking about re-newing our wedding vows & he was telling friends how great our sex was after 23 yrs.....next thing I know he's talking about wanting to own a Corvette before he died, so I'm assuming he is going through some age crisis, and my life is in a total shambles and my home is close to foreclosure, etc. I'm being told by friends & a lawyer that it's too soon for a divorce (he's lost his mind, and he MIGHT be back they say), and from past experience I don't think he'd agree to any reasonable divorce terms anyway.

But I am very worried about liability, and need to know how to legally protect myself. I read on here that PA has no such thing as a "Legal Seperation"?
So my question is CAN I do to protect myself legally yet without actually getting a divorce?

LdiJ

cadillaclimo said:
What is the name of your state? PA

My husband of 23 yrs left 7 months ago. He refuses to sign any papers (like the house over to me, vehicles, file for divorce, etc). Yet he is burning bridges very quickly, already bought a car, joint bank account, engaged.....to a woman he met 6 months ago .

Emotionally and Financially am I not ready for an actual divorce, BECAUSE him leaving was a total shock to me.... right before he left we were talking about re-newing our wedding vows & he was telling friends how great our sex was after 23 yrs.....next thing I know he's talking about wanting to own a Corvette before he died, so I'm assuming he is going through some age crisis, and my life is in a total shambles and my home is close to foreclosure, etc. I'm being told by friends & a lawyer that it's too soon for a divorce (he's lost his mind, and he MIGHT be back they say), and from past experience I don't think he'd agree to any reasonable divorce terms anyway.

But I am very worried about liability, and need to know how to legally protect myself. I read on here that PA has no such thing as a "Legal Seperation"?
So my question is CAN I do to protect myself legally yet without actually getting a divorce?
I suspect that you really need to hurry up and get a divorce before there are no longer any assets left to split.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">