• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seperating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtheisen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My husband moved out one week ago. We have not filed anything. Can I change the locks on the doors at anytime even though he has left things behind? He stated he would make arrangements to pick up his things but he has been devious in the past and I would like to protect myself. Am I allowed to refuse him access to my apartment now that he has moved out?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My husband moved out one week ago. We have not filed anything. Can I change the locks on the doors at anytime even though he has left things behind? He stated he would make arrangements to pick up his things but he has been devious in the past and I would like to protect myself. Am I allowed to refuse him access to my apartment now that he has moved out?
It is still the marital residence. YOu need to get a court order to prevent him from being able to return.

mistoffolees

It is still the marital residence. YOu need to get a court order to prevent him from being able to return.
The only exception might be that she talks about protecting herself. Although it didn't sound like she was in physical danger, IF she is, she could get a protection order. Then again, that's a court order, so I guess it's not an exception at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">