• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seperating issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minpin

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
My wife and i legaly seperated yesterday, the Judge gave her the house and car, which is in both are names.. Told her to pay for them.. wife told me that she isnt going to pay for them, how do i get her to pay for this stuff before it gets repo or bad credit.

LdiJ

minpin said:
What is the name of your state? Arkansas
My wife and i legaly seperated yesterday, the Judge gave her the house and car, which is in both are names.. Told her to pay for them.. wife told me that she isnt going to pay for them, how do i get her to pay for this stuff before it gets repo or bad credit.
Is there a specific reason why she is refusing to pay for the house and car? If she just plain doesn't have the money, then that is one thing. If she is refusing just to be contrary, that's another.

minpin

no she doesnt have the money, but the judge awarded her the property because she asked for it, she asked the judge if he would make me pay for it and he said no, i dont want the late payments falling on me later becase she didnt pay. she was awarded the property

innocent

contact the bank

Why don't you contact the bank and send them a copy of judge order and tell them you are no longer own the property. All the payment should go to the new owner.

tyandi

Why Does she get the Home & car?

I am just curious, I am going to be going thru something similar but why did the judge give her the house & car? Is Arkansas an equitable state? Or will that be decided when divorce happens. Is this just temporary because of the legal separation?

minpin

might be temporary, but she asked the judge for house and car, and for me to pay them, the judge issued her the house and said i didnt have to pay. so now she is stuck with all the big bills, which i know she cant afford and i dont know what to do. i really hope she wakes up and sees what she did, by doing this.

LdiJ

innocent said:
Why don't you contact the bank and send them a copy of judge order and tell them you are no longer own the property. All the payment should go to the new owner.
That will not work. The bank or mortgage company is not a party to the separation/divorce, and they are bound only by the terms of the mortgage contract.

Therefore, if the OP doesn't make sure the payments are made, the OP's credit is going to get truly trashed.

If she can't afford the home then it either needs to go to the OP, or it needs to be sold and the proceeds split.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">