• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seperation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AMYZ

What is the name of your state? New York
:confused: I am married for 16 years, I am working, have been working throughout the marriage along as well as my husband. I am interested in knowing would it be better to get a seperation or a divorce, regarding the % of allimony, monthly? For how many years is it to be recieved? I currently have an Order of Protection against my husband, granted for a year, can this be changed?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I could swear I replied to this, so I'll try again. Alimony is no longer the slam-dunk it used to be. A lot will depend on how long you've been married, whether you work, whether you can work, etc.

The house can be quit-claimed to you - if you are awarded it by the court - and likely you will be required to refinance in your name only to have this happen.

[edit - I see now that you've been married 16 years - that will meet the standard of a long-term marriage.]

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
momma_tiger said:
I could swear I replied to this, so I'll try again. Alimony is no longer the slam-dunk it used to be. A lot will depend on how long you've been married, whether you work, whether you can work, etc.

The house can be quit-claimed to you - if you are awarded it by the court - and likely you will be required to refinance in your name only to have this happen.

[edit - I see now that you've been married 16 years - that will meet the standard of a long-term marriage.]
Let me start again - now I see that it's a new post with all the info in it. You likely will NOT be able to get alimony since you work - unless there is an enormous disparity in your incomes.

And please - it just confuses things when you delete and repost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">