• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seperation Aggrement, custody help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DBMorris

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My wife (soon to be X) and I will have joint physical and legal custody, by our seperation aggreement through a mediator. She wants to add though, that our son is to go to the school in the district in which she resides, no matter where I live (she has another child and she fells it would be easier to keep them in the same district). I would also add a limitation as to how far she could move but my main concern, is it likely the courts might see that as setting her up as custodial parent in the event the 50/50% didn't not work and we ended up in court later, thus giving her full custody? Might this take away from my joint legal custody? Ideas on wording for such a thing?

Thanks,
Danny

tigger22472

In my husbands divorce decree they have stipulations. First off sd spends two weeks with us and two weeks with mom. The decree states that who ever buys a house first gets to put the child in their district. It also states that they are not to move more then 100 miles away from each other without approval. When he and I were first together sd was 4 and not yet in school. Soon after mom bought a house and we lived about 30 minutes away. We were left with two choices. File for a custody modification or move closer to mom. We did the latter. However, mom also has a son and for the same reason wants both her kids in the same school. Although we still live in the same small town sd goes to school in mom's district. We could TRY to fight it for it is further for us to drive to the school in our area then it is for mom if that makes any sense but to keep peace until it becomes a major problem then we deal with it. It has in no way affected the custody. SD still spends 2 weeks here, we simply take her to school when she's here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">