• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seperation of Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ganifares

My husband and I are going through a tough time. Currently we are thinking of separating. I am concerned because he has several medical bills and has made it clear that he will continue to receive them but without his financial support I cannot pay for them myself. Prior to our marriage, he had several bills sent to collection--which I was told would not affect me or my credit since it was before we met. Is there any way that I can separate myself from these bills? Meaning, will they affect my credit or myself if he chooses not to pay for them himself or has them sent to my home? I do not want to be held responsible for these bills. We are currently in a family health care plan, would I need to cancel that? We reside in CA. Thanks.

LdiJ

My husband and I are going through a tough time. Currently we are thinking of separating. I am concerned because he has several medical bills and has made it clear that he will continue to receive them but without his financial support I cannot pay for them myself. Prior to our marriage, he had several bills sent to collection--which I was told would not affect me or my credit since it was before we met. Is there any way that I can separate myself from these bills? Meaning, will they affect my credit or myself if he chooses not to pay for them himself or has them sent to my home? I do not want to be held responsible for these bills. We are currently in a family health care plan, would I need to cancel that? We reside in CA. Thanks.
DO NOT cancel the family health care plan or cancel his medical insurance. That is a sure way to cause a judge to hold you responsible for his UNINSURED medical bills.

California is a community property state, therefore if you do not want to be responsible for his ongoing bills, then you need to make sure that your separation is a legal one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">