• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seperation and dating,what are the laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faulk01

What is the name of your state? missouri
I moved out and filled for divorce on the same day,dec,13,2006,I have completed all necassary things to have a court date set,children and divorce class,and am just waiting on a court date to be set to get this over with,my question conserns our 4 year old daughter,he seems to think I can not have anyone other than him around her till a divorce decree has been signed by a judge,I have my daughter all the off days I have from work,I work 12 hr shifts,2 one week and 5 the next,my stbx has her the days I work so basically we have her jointly,the only difference is I am eigther working or with my child,he on the other hand has free time without her .I have been seeing someone for a couple of weeks,not just a fling type,and am wondering if it would be illegal for my boyfriend to come over watch movies or just have dinner while my child is here,missouri is a no fault state,would this also apply and can he govern what I do,or who I see,as long as my child is not in any danger while my child is with me?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maybe it would be better for your daughter if you didn't move another guy in just so quick.
When you decided to have a child, you decided that your CHILD would be put first.

CJane

It is certainly not illegal to have someone - anyone - around your child in the manner you describe (over for dinner, movies, whatever).

HOWEVER, while it's also not illegal to have that person spend the night, it will be better for you legally, and better for your child, and better for your relationship with the child's other parent if you restrict any overnight/late night visits to times when the child is not present.

When it comes time to set visitation, make sure you have time for YOU worked into that. Not just so you can date, but so that you have some time to decompress. Believe me, it's a lifesaver.

Dad COULD ask for, and likely be granted, a 'non-cohabitation' clause. This would apply to him as well, and would restrict both of you from having overnight (non-related) guests while the child is present.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It could very likely be considered adultery. You are still married and therefore you are not supposed to be having a relationship with anyone other than your husband until you are divorced. Putting someone new in daddy's shoes before you are divorced is a BIG mistake and is not going to be good for your child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">