• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seperation Question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdterps

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Hello, Married 2 years with 2 kids, own house.

My wife wants a divorce and spoke to an attorney. He gave her a packet where we can agree on everything,house,child support,etc. He told her that after filling out this information we would have to separate for a year and then after year we would be divorced unless things get better during that year.

Now should I fill out this packet with her and sign? Seems odd that we would fill all this out then separate for a year? What if one of us changes our mind on certain issues during that year? Please help me understand as I can not really afford a lawyer.

Thanks!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Hello, Married 2 years with 2 kids, own house.

My wife wants a divorce and spoke to an attorney. He gave her a packet where we can agree on everything,house,child support,etc. He told her that after filling out this information we would have to separate for a year and then after year we would be divorced unless things get better during that year.

Now should I fill out this packet with her and sign? Seems odd that we would fill all this out then separate for a year? What if one of us changes our mind on certain issues during that year? Please help me understand as I can not really afford a lawyer.

Thanks!
You can do a little research on MD's divorce laws. Here's one example:
http://www.divorcenet.com/states/maryland/mdfaq_03

I would strongly encourage you to have an attorney at least review the papers before you sign them. If you can agree on everything, it won't cost much to have an attorney just double check things, but it can save a lot of heartache later.

mdterps

Yeah I was confused because if we agree on everything then split for a year what if one person changes thier mind on the agreement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">