• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seperation Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fireblade165

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
My wife is moving out of our home next month. The mortgage is in both of our names, and I just wanted to know if there are any legal areas that would make her still be responsible for her half of the payment. I guess I was always under the assumption that if I moved out, I would still have to pay my half. Right now the market just isn't there to refinance, so what options do I have?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
My wife is moving out of our home next month. The mortgage is in both of our names, and I just wanted to know if there are any legal areas that would make her still be responsible for her half of the payment. I guess I was always under the assumption that if I moved out, I would still have to pay my half. Right now the market just isn't there to refinance, so what options do I have?
Generally, when a couple divorces or separates, the spouse retaining physical possession of the home is responsible for making the house payments. There can be exceptions to that, however, based on the overall economic factors.

mistoffolees

Generally, when a couple divorces or separates, the spouse retaining physical possession of the home is responsible for making the house payments. There can be exceptions to that, however, based on the overall economic factors.
OP has one more option. Given that this problem comes up regularly, often with bad consequences, I would strongly suggest that they sell the house if neither party wants to and can afford to refinance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">