• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seprated, he has truck in my name...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GJL

What is the name of your state? Texas

Can you help me? My other and I are separated, and as far as I know he has not filed for a divorce and I don't know if he'll ever file anytime soon.

He is driveing a truck that has just me listed on the title. I am responsible to pay his insurance and for his tickets. Is the only option I have is to go get it? If getting it is not an option for
me, than is there any other anything I can do so I will not be responsible for his accidents and tickets?
Filing for divorce is not an option either...

I have contacted a few car donation charities and they told me I have to be there to give it to them or when they here the situation, they don't want to have any part of it...
Do you know of anyone I can give it to, that will go pick it up after I sign the title over to them, and that won't require me to be there?

One more ?
In Texas can I file for something like a "legal separation" that will get rid of community property issues, and let me go back to my maiden name, without fileing for a divorce?

Last edited:

moburkes

You can't have it both ways. You cannot have the benefit of a divorce, without getting a divorce. You can go get your vehicle, though.

Bali Hai

You can't have it both ways. You cannot have the benefit of a divorce, without getting a divorce. You can go get your vehicle, though.
Hold on a minute there partner. That truck is marital property and he has as much right to drive it as she does. He may have more of a right to the truck if it is his only means of getting to work.

moburkes

Hold on a minute there partner. That truck is marital property and he has as much right to drive it as she does. He may have more of a right to the truck if it is his only means of getting to work.
Technically, but her name in on the title. She can get the truck now, and sort the mess later.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Technically, but her name in on the title. She can get the truck now, and sort the mess later.
Wrong Mo. As marital property he has a right to do it. If this were a boyfriend/girlfriend situation that would be different. He has the truck and her name on the title does not matter> She needs to file for divorce and at least get temporary orders in place giving her sole possession of the truck. This may be the only vehicle in the house hold or it may be a vehicle he has driven the entire time and if she takes it the court would get her. Her trying to get it from him and "donate it" shows she is trying to dissipate marital assets. She cannot do that. She needs to file for divorce or deal.

moburkes

Wrong Mo. As marital property he has a right to do it. If this were a boyfriend/girlfriend situation that would be different. He has the truck and her name on the title does not matter> She needs to file for divorce and at least get temporary orders in place giving her sole possession of the truck. This may be the only vehicle in the house hold or it may be a vehicle he has driven the entire time and if she takes it the court would get her. Her trying to get it from him and "donate it" shows she is trying to dissipate marital assets. She cannot do that. She needs to file for divorce or deal.
Did you read the rest of my responses?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Texas

Can you help me? My other and I are separated, and as far as I know he has not filed for a divorce and I don't know if he'll ever file anytime soon.

He is driveing a truck that has just me listed on the title. I am responsible to pay his insurance and for his tickets. Is the only option I have is to go get it? If getting it is not an option for
me, than is there any other anything I can do so I will not be responsible for his accidents and tickets?
Filing for divorce is not an option either...

I have contacted a few car donation charities and they told me I have to be there to give it to them or when they here the situation, they don't want to have any part of it...
Do you know of anyone I can give it to, that will go pick it up after I sign the title over to them, and that won't require me to be there?

One more ?
In Texas can I file for something like a "legal separation" that will get rid of community property issues, and let me go back to my maiden name, without fileing for a divorce?
Well...I am going to disagree with you about the school forms at least. One of the primary purposes of the school forms is to have emergency contacts. Since mom is MIA she can't be an emergency contact, and they absolutely need to list at least three...or at least our school system requires at least three.

Bali Hai

Well...I am going to disagree with you about the school forms at least. One of the primary purposes of the school forms is to have emergency contacts. Since mom is MIA she can't be an emergency contact, and they absolutely need to list at least three...or at least our school system requires at least three.
Whatever you're smoking, it must be good stuff huh?

LdiJ

Whatever you're smoking, it must be good stuff huh?

What sense does that statement make Bali? Schools require emergency contacts for children. Those people have to be people that the school actually has a possibility of contacting in an emergency. Our school system requires a minimum of three contacts...which is normally mom, dad, and a third person (often a grandparent). So...if for one reason or another the school can't reach mom, or dad, there is someone else the school can reach who is authorized to deal with emergencies.

Obviously a parent who is MIA is not reachable in an emergency.

So what didn't you "get"?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What sense does that statement make Bali? Schools require emergency contacts for children. Those people have to be people that the school actually has a possibility of contacting in an emergency. Our school system requires a minimum of three contacts...which is normally mom, dad, and a third person (often a grandparent). So...if for one reason or another the school can't reach mom, or dad, there is someone else the school can reach who is authorized to deal with emergencies.

Obviously a parent who is MIA is not reachable in an emergency.

So what didn't you "get"?
I am agreeing with Bali. This couple has NO KIDS MENTIONED!

married_tomoron

If you're not willing to file for divorce and can't find information on legal separation...
Why don't you just sign the truck over to him?? If you are willing to donate it to a charity, you could just call him your charity for now... It would take care of the problem of you being responsible for the insurance and any accidents or speeding tickets that he might have. If you signed it over and turned in the release of liability to your DMV then your responsibility about the truck is over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">