• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Serious Help Needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused261978

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I got married at a young age, when I found out I was pregnant. My husband left me and my son. I had a nervous breakdown and he called the cops taking my son. Soon after he filed for divorce. We went through the proceedings until he was awarded temporary custody. The divorce was never finalized. He didn't pay the filing fees for the divorce and the judge dismissed it. That was all it took, and he disappeared with my son. It has been four years and I haven't seen them. I filed again for divorce, but because he could not be served. I contacted his family, hired a private investigator and recieved an address in Tenessee. The address and divorce papers were mailed to the sherriff's agency and they tried to serve him. They couldn't. I couldn't complete the divorce/custody proceedings. I am trying to find out what I need to do now, to finalize the divorce, get my son back and move on. I am currently rebuilding my life and beginning again. Please help..

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I got married at a young age, when I found out I was pregnant. My husband left me and my son. I had a nervous breakdown and he called the cops taking my son. Soon after he filed for divorce. We went through the proceedings until he was awarded temporary custody. The divorce was never finalized. He didn't pay the filing fees for the divorce and the judge dismissed it. That was all it took, and he disappeared with my son. It has been four years and I haven't seen them. I filed again for divorce, but because he could not be served. I contacted his family, hired a private investigator and recieved an address in Tenessee. The address and divorce papers were mailed to the sherriff's agency and they tried to serve him. They couldn't. I couldn't complete the divorce/custody proceedings. I am trying to find out what I need to do now, to finalize the divorce, get my son back and move on. I am currently rebuilding my life and beginning again. Please help..
It's not going to be as easy as just 'get my son back and move on'. Your son has been in the father's custody for years and that's the only home he knows. How are you going to convince a judge that it's better for the son to be uprooted from the only home he's known for years?

You're far more likely to get some kind of visitation.

Either way, you need to see an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">