• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

served again after final divorce settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rolrandy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My divorce was done back in october case closed by the judge
I was just served more papers by my ex stamped by the court
she is wanting more money and items from the home that I took when I moved out
the items in question were not written out clearly in the settlement
she got the marital home and my 401k and child support fot the next 17 months
I was awarded the guest room furniture and all my garage/yard stuff and a tv and a computer

I took all the guest room furniture which included a tv and then another tv from the spare bedroom. I took all my garage tools and the cabinets to store them in and a freezer that was in the garage.

How am I to know I have only 20 days to respond to her latest request therte is nothing stating that I did my own digging on the web and learned that. I know she is doing this just to be spiteful

where do I go from here don't want to go the atty route again I was stripped of everything I have the first time around.

HELP:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

I was awarded the guest room furniture and all my garage/yard stuff and a tv and a computer

I took all the guest room furniture which included a tv and then another tv from the spare bedroom. I took all my garage tools and the cabinets to store them in and a freezer that was in the garage.

How am I to know I have only 20 days to respond to her latest request therte is nothing stating that I did my own digging on the web and learned that. I know she is doing this just to be spiteful

where do I go from here don't want to go the atty route again I was stripped of everything I have the first time around.

The amount of time you have to respond should be on the forms you received. Read them carefully.

As for the stuff you took, read your divorce decree very carefully. If you are comfortable that you didn't take anything you weren't entitled to, then you go to court with a list of what you took and the problem should go away. if you took more than you were entitled to, return it and then go to court to say you returned it. Without knowing the specific wording, it's impossible to say which of those might apply.

Frankly, arguing over property like this rarely makes sense. The court is going to value it at garage sale prices - which varies, but when we assigned values to things, they were mostly in the range of 10% of the purchase price. At that level, the attorney's fees will eat up any gains in a big hurry.

If there are items with clear emotional value, they shouldn't be an issue. The painting her aunt Hilda made for her should be hers - it probably has little value. Your marble collection from when you were a kid is clearly yours. And so on.

rolrandy

Ijust looked very carefully thru the papers I was served no dates at all only a filing date
stamp with the court on dec 11th
how do I know I got all the papers she could have selectivly left out some
and I never signed anything stating I recieved so it is my word against hers:confused:

mistoffolees

Ijust looked very carefully thru the papers I was served no dates at all only a filing date
stamp with the court on dec 11th
how do I know I got all the papers she could have selectivly left out some
and I never signed anything stating I recieved so it is my word against hers:confused:
Since you apparently don't understand the papers you received, you need an attorney (you should be able to tell if you got the relevant papers or not).

LdiJ

I agree with the other responses you received but it does sound to me like you took some stuff that you were not entitled to receive....in particular, a TV and a freezer, and possibly some cabinets as well.

Give the stuff back and the whole thing will go away.

rolrandy

This will go on forever she is a golddigger and unemployed for the last year
I am not willing to bend over evertime she theatens me
ther has to be a way to stop her

she is also up on fraud charges from her former employer all I can do is cross my fingers that slows her down

mistoffolees

This will go on forever she is a golddigger and unemployed for the last year
I am not willing to bend over evertime she theatens me
ther has to be a way to stop her

she is also up on fraud charges from her former employer all I can do is cross my fingers that slows her down
None of that is the least bit relevant. If you took stuff which belonged to her, she has every right in the world to recover it - regardless of whether she's working or whether you think she's a golddigger.

Give her back her things and stop complaining that the system won't let you steal things from her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">