• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Served wrong or illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cocoham

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I will try to keep this short and to the point. Please forgive me if I sound dumb but this is all new to me and I'm kind of in shock over it all.
Married 24 years - 2 grown children

Husband walked out on family on Aug 2 (he said he was suicidal, ptsd)
He sent me an email Aug 9th ( wishing we could be together?)
Never answered calls, texts, emails from me or our 2 children

I received divorce papers Oct 30th that he had filed on Aug 13th....?
He sent them to my PO Box, months after they were filed.

He has a friend that is a police officer here. A friend of mine thinks his police officer friend signed off that I was served back in Aug and then husband just sat on the papers a few months before sending to me.

Am I just out of luck on asking for any support now? I don't want the world from him just support to help me for 6 months or so, to get on my feet. Isn't this completely illegal and should I try to get the money to talk to a lawyer? I've searched for free local legal support and found one class I signed up for that was cancelled...Any help is appreciated.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Exactly what papers did you receive? Divorces don't usually go through that quickly. Even IF his friend signed that you were served, you apparently have no proof of it.

What have you done in the two weeks since you received the papers? Have you contacted the court? Called around to lawyers to set up a consuyltation? Anything? Seriously - I think you need a lawyer. Pronto.

cocoham

Right I have no proof of being served. I have proof from my PO box that I received/signed for these papers on Nov 4th (it was sent by him on Oct 30 from out of state)

I received a copy of a summons that states I had 30 days from Aug 18th - I have reached out to so called "free legal services" that want money I don't have.
I signed up for a free local class on divorce/legal help that was cancelled until further notice. That's why I'm here wondering if I'm just out of luck or what, from people who have more knowledge. He obviously just sat on the papers so I don't know if the courts do anything regarding that or once the time is up it's just tough luck for me?
I will try to call more lawyers for free consult but have seriously had no luck. I was referred here to ask my question, maybe the internet is not the place for my question. Sorry if I sound out of it and not on the ball, but I guess that's the case right now.
I will call the court on Monday as well. Thank you for your response & thank you to other post for the link.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Right I have no proof of being served. I have proof from my PO box that I received/signed for these papers on Nov 4th (it was sent by him on Oct 30 from out of state)

I received a copy of a summons that states I had 30 days from Aug 18th - I have reached out to so called "free legal services" that want money I don't have.
I signed up for a free local class on divorce/legal help that was cancelled until further notice. That's why I'm here wondering if I'm just out of luck or what, from people who have more knowledge. He obviously just sat on the papers so I don't know if the courts do anything regarding that or once the time is up it's just tough luck for me?
I will try to call more lawyers for free consult but have seriously had no luck. I was referred here to ask my question, maybe the internet is not the place for my question. Sorry if I sound out of it and not on the ball, but I guess that's the case right now.
I will call the court on Monday as well. Thank you for your response & thank you to other post for the link.
Okay - so you have rec'd a summons, not actual divorce papers.

Many lawyers will provide a free consult - if you retain them. But few will actually give an hour of their time up as a freebie. They have bills to pay like the rest of us. Is there anyone who could help you pay for at least an hour? Some lawyers will work on a payment plan, but it's always better to broach these things face-to-face, IME.

The court MUST be your first call on Monday - it would be even better if you could just go in person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">