• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

service for divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tyzep

In California -- my attorney has been attemting to get service for my divorce from my husband who is military, in Germany. Papers were Fed Ex'd and someone unknown to me signed for them and nothing was ever returned from my husband. He supposedly has an attorney in Georgia, who my attorney called and he said she agreed to accept the papers The papers have been sent to her. In the meantime, my husband personally called my attorney's office. My attorney is gone until the 5-12. My attorney's secretary said she had a long conversation with my husband in which he said he just found the fed ex'd paperwork "yesterday." They evidently discussed that he doesn't want to fight the divorce, he just doesn't want to pay any money. He signed a separation agreement in Germany.before I left.in the military legal support division. That's all I'm trying to enforce.

Anyway, the secretary seems to have gotten chummy with my husband, said he's planning to be back in the states soon, and she wanted to know how old he was. This makes me uncomfortable since I don't know what else they discussed in this "lengthy conversation." The only way I knew about this conversation is because she mentioned it to my father who was in there on business. He manages a court reporting business and was delivering documents.

After calling myself and talking to her, I called back later and asked whoever answered the phone to file a proof of service. They agreed. However, the original secretary is now refusing to do so until my attorney returns on the 12th She's refused to let me talk to the other attorney in the office who's in charge while my attorney is gone. The other secretaries just refer me back to her.

My main concern, aside from the fact I think some of her conduct is unprofessional and perhaps unethical, is I want the proof of service filed before giving more time to have action possibly taken in Georgia.

Is there anything I can do? She says she can't file proof of service because of the papers that were sent to the attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">