• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trishclaygor@ya

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas. me and a female lived together for 11 and a half years. We had a child together. I supported the family, in the meantime she applied for ssi and was approved and recieved a settlement. At that time she took the settlement and moved out. The question is was I intitled to half of it?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas. me and a female lived together for 11 and a half years. We had a child together. I supported the family, in the meantime she applied for ssi and was approved and recieved a settlement. At that time she took the settlement and moved out. The question is was I intitled to half of it?

Well...if she's not disabled or blind she has to be over 65 to get SSI, and since you say you were married for 11 years and you had a child..I'm thinking she is disabled or blind (unless you had a kid when she was 54....or maybe before you married her). Either way SSI is for people in desperate need...and you really want a piece of that? Fortunately... Social Security benefits are not divisible in divorce, and since you were married for more than 10 years she will also be eligible for a minimuim of 50% of your SS benefits at age 62(don't worry they don't reduce your benefits). If and when you get divorced...you can split up any other assets, and fiqure out how to support your child.

mistoffolees

Well...if she's not disabled or blind she has to be over 65 to get SSI, and since you say you were married for 11 years and you had a child..I'm thinking she is disabled or blind (unless you had a kid when she was 54....or maybe before you married her). Either way SSI is for people in desperate need...and you really want a piece of that? Fortunately... Social Security benefits are not divisible in divorce, and since you were married for more than 10 years she will also be eligible for a minimuim of 50% of your SS benefits at age 62(don't worry they don't reduce your benefits). If and when you get divorced...you can split up any other assets, and fiqure out how to support your child.
Except they weren't actually married. I know Texas has specific laws on common law marriage. SS would first need to determine when they met the requirements for common law marriage before applying the 10 year test. It might or might not be when they moved in together.

Silverplum

Nope, he said they lived together that long. Not married.

Poster, look here for info on YOUR state (others don't matter):
http://family.findlaw.com/living-together/living-together-common-law-marriage/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">