• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement Agreement-Incomplete Documentation and Mental Incapacity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandrawg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was divorced 7 years ago.

I know that I may have a problem because my case is 7 years old, but I also think there could be a loophole somewhere. Unfortunately, I had spoken with an attorney BEFORE my statute of limitations for signing an agreement while mentally incapacitated ran out, and he discouraged me from pressing a case against my exhusband at the time. Since my divorce, I've been struggling to get back on my feet and it's been hard to take the time to research whether or not i have any recourse against my exhusband.

Back in 2004, I was mentally incapacitated (psychotic break) and put into a mental hospital. When I came out, my exhusband had me sign a separation agreement. He told me it was to "protect our assets", since I was not in a good mental state. He did NOT provide me any income documentation, but merely a standard form he drafted himself, representing himself (in pro per), where he wrote out all of the assets that would go to him, and the ones that went to me. I did not have an attorney. I didn't think I needed one, as my exhusband said this agreement would NOT lead to divorce, and that once I got back on my feet, we could rescind it.

I was under the influence of psychiatric drugs at the time (drugs that eventually landed me in the hospital with a drug reaction) and in a bad mental state. I signed it, thinking I was protecting our assets and saving our marriage. Indeed, after the agreement was signed, we tried to work on our marriage.

The psych drug I was taking, ended up putting me in the hospital for TWO WEEKS, with a drug reaction, a year later. When I came out of the hospital, after nearly DYING, my exhusband served me with divorce papers.

My family at the time, told me the agreement I had signed was unfair and I should contest it, but I was too weak. I did realize it was an unfair agreement, however..my exhusband runs a VERY profitable business that I was entitled to a community property interest in (probably half of he growth, which was exceptional during our marriage, ESPECIALLY since I helped him work on it.)

I was still physically weak and sick, though, and was living with my brother in Virginia at the time. It would have been hard to press a case against my ex to get the agreement set aside, all the way from the east coast. I DID however, talk to an attorney by phone who discouraged me from contesting the agreement, because he said it would be too hard to prove mental incapacity.

I have struggled to get back on my feet after all that. From time to time, I've done research into still pursuing a case against my exhusband. A few years ago, I even sent an L.A. attorney all my documents. He said it's clear my exhusband was negligent in not providing certain income documentation, but then he just stopped replying to my emails.

I think every lawyer I speak to, thinks I waited too long, but I feel like there HAS to be some recourse for me. Perhaps if it's considered more of a contract case? Or if there is a breach of fiduciary trust claim? Can someone help?

The last few years of our marriage, I was completely unaware of my ex's income. He used to take care of filing our taxes and all that. And my ex never gave me the required forms showing his income, when I signed the settlement agreement.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was divorced 7 years ago.

I know that I may have a problem because my case is 7 years old, but I also think there could be a loophole somewhere. Unfortunately, I had spoken with an attorney BEFORE my statute of limitations for signing an agreement while mentally incapacitated ran out, and he discouraged me from pressing a case against my exhusband at the time. Since my divorce, I've been struggling to get back on my feet and it's been hard to take the time to research whether or not i have any recourse against my exhusband.

Back in 2004, I was mentally incapacitated (psychotic break) and put into a mental hospital. When I came out, my exhusband had me sign a separation agreement. He told me it was to "protect our assets", since I was not in a good mental state. He did NOT provide me any income documentation, but merely a standard form he drafted himself, representing himself (in pro per), where he wrote out all of the assets that would go to him, and the ones that went to me. I did not have an attorney. I didn't think I needed one, as my exhusband said this agreement would NOT lead to divorce, and that once I got back on my feet, we could rescind it.

I was under the influence of psychiatric drugs at the time (drugs that eventually landed me in the hospital with a drug reaction) and in a bad mental state. I signed it, thinking I was protecting our assets and saving our marriage. Indeed, after the agreement was signed, we tried to work on our marriage.

The psych drug I was taking, ended up putting me in the hospital for TWO WEEKS, with a drug reaction, a year later. When I came out of the hospital, after nearly DYING, my exhusband served me with divorce papers.

My family at the time, told me the agreement I had signed was unfair and I should contest it, but I was too weak. I did realize it was an unfair agreement, however..my exhusband runs a VERY profitable business that I was entitled to a community property interest in (probably half of he growth, which was exceptional during our marriage, ESPECIALLY since I helped him work on it.)

I was still physically weak and sick, though, and was living with my brother in Virginia at the time. It would have been hard to press a case against my ex to get the agreement set aside, all the way from the east coast. I DID however, talk to an attorney by phone who discouraged me from contesting the agreement, because he said it would be too hard to prove mental incapacity.

I have struggled to get back on my feet after all that. From time to time, I've done research into still pursuing a case against my exhusband. A few years ago, I even sent an L.A. attorney all my documents. He said it's clear my exhusband was negligent in not providing certain income documentation, but then he just stopped replying to my emails.

I think every lawyer I speak to, thinks I waited too long, but I feel like there HAS to be some recourse for me. Perhaps if it's considered more of a contract case? Or if there is a breach of fiduciary trust claim? Can someone help?

The last few years of our marriage, I was completely unaware of my ex's income. He used to take care of filing our taxes and all that. And my ex never gave me the required forms showing his income, when I signed the settlement agreement.
There is nothing you can do if the SOL has run. If the SOL is gone then you are SOL. You made bad decisions. That doesn't mean at the time you made those bad decisions you were legally unable to make them.

Silverplum

There is nothing you can do if the SOL has run. If the SOL is gone then you are SOL. You made bad decisions. That doesn't mean at the time you made those bad decisions you were legally unable to make them.
I found this, am tossing it in: http://m.lawqa.com/qa/is-there-statute-of-limitations-on-disclosure-in-california-divorces

The statute of limitations appears to be 3 years from the time the fraud was discovered.

sandrawg

Meaning...if I discover he had assets that he didn't reveal, I have 3 years AFTER that?

I found this, am tossing it in: http://m.lawqa.com/qa/is-there-statute-of-limitations-on-disclosure-in-california-divorces

The statute of limitations appears to be 3 years from the time the fraud was discovered.

sandrawg

Yeah..it does matter. Because family law varies, state by state. Saying I'm "SOL" because of the statute of limitations is a pat answer I've been given for the last 7 years. There are always loophoies and special considerations, depending on state law.

I would rather have someone who's familiar with California law comment, than keep hearing the same pat answer I keep getting from people who aren't SERIOUSLY considering my case.

That doesn't matter. What matters is correct legal info provided, which OG did.

:cool:

sandrawg

I mean, come on, you yourself just posted a link with totally different responses from different attorneys about whether there even IS a statute of limitations on nondisclosure in California! So...

That doesn't matter. What matters is correct legal info provided, which OG did.

:cool:

Silverplum

Yeah..it does matter. Because family law varies, state by state. Saying I'm "SOL" because of the statute of limitations is a pat answer I've been given for the last 7 years. There are always loophoies and special considerations, depending on state law.

I would rather have someone who's familiar with California law comment, than keep hearing the same pat answer I keep getting from people who aren't SERIOUSLY considering my case.
That is not what OG wrote.

single317dad

So, you've been asking a question for 7 years (I'm skeptical of that claim), and you've received the same answer. I wonder why.

If you want someone to SERIOUSLY consider your case, paying them is a good motivator.

I'm willing to google up a helpful link or two, but once a poster gets testy I'm out. :cool:
ETA: In lieu of payment, you could be kind and grateful to the people who are willing to do it for free.

Last edited:

Silverplum

So, you've been asking a question for 7 years (I'm skeptical of that claim), and you've received the same answer. I wonder why.

If you want someone to SERIOUSLY consider your case, paying them is a good motivator.
I'm willing to google up a helpful link or two, but once a poster gets testy I'm out. :cool:

Proserpina

Please feel free to pay an attorney to tell you what you want to hear.

You're welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">