• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ayresco

What is the name of your state? Wyoming---Prior to my divorce 5 years ago, my ex-husbands place of employment, Eastern Wyoming College, was involved in a class action suit with other community colleges in the state dealing with equitable pay. This suit was finally settled last year and all employees were given a lump sum benefit and a raise in order for their pay to be more equitable with the pay of other community college employees in the state. We were married when this suit began and had plans for the money when, and if, the suit was settled. Do I have a right to any of the settlement money even though it was settled after out divorce?

HomeGuru

ayresco said:
What is the name of your state? Wyoming---Prior to my divorce 5 years ago, my ex-husbands place of employment, Eastern Wyoming College, was involved in a class action suit with other community colleges in the state dealing with equitable pay. This suit was finally settled last year and all employees were given a lump sum benefit and a raise in order for their pay to be more equitable with the pay of other community college employees in the state. We were married when this suit began and had plans for the money when, and if, the suit was settled. Do I have a right to any of the settlement money even though it was settled after out divorce?
**A: and does your divorce decree and property distribution papers make any reference to this potential class action settlement? If not, why not?

A

ayresco

It is not mentioned in the property settlement agreement--There had been no forthcoming news regarding this suit, and I think that neither one of us thought that it would be settled and forgot about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">