• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

settlement not allimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lorilie_400

What is the name of your state? texas, I was divorced in texas in 2000, i recieved a settlement which was to be payed out once a year for 5 years. now the ex husband is wanting me to sign some papers that are claiming the money he pays me as contractual allimony, so that i will be responsible for the taxes. I dont mind paying the taxes on the money, but i dont know if i want it to be called contractual allimony, because i heard that allimony in texas is only suppose to be payed for a max of 3 years. that would mean that i might not get the rest of my settlement. what should i do?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Nope. If this is a settlement of the marital estate, you don't need to be paying taxes on it. He's been allowed to pay you over a number of years instead of as a lump sum. HE is responsible for the taxes on that money - not you. Don't agree to this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">