• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sex after the Divorce Papers, before the court date?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadfrog

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am wondering. My husband and I signed the divorce papers three weeks ago. But since then we have had sex. A friend of mine told me that if we had sex before the court date, the judge would not grant a divorce. Is this true?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am wondering. My husband and I signed the divorce papers three weeks ago. But since then we have had sex. A friend of mine told me that if we had sex before the court date, the judge would not grant a divorce. Is this true?
No...that is absolutely not true. It can restart the clock if you have to be separated for a certain amount of time before you can file for divorce, but once the divorce is under way it does not effect the divorce.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No...that is absolutely not true. It can restart the clock if you have to be separated for a certain amount of time before you can file for divorce, but once the divorce is under way it does not effect the divorce.
Actually not quite true. It can delay the divorce because the sex destroys the separation. So if they needed to be separated for a divorce they no longer are. They cannot go in to court and swear that they have been separate and apart. It depends on the grounds for divorce as well.

sadfrog

Additionall information

Okay, the papers have been filed, but the court date has not been set. It has not been 31 days since we gave them to the courts. So basically, the sex, has no legal ramifications? :eek:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Okay, the papers have been filed, but the court date has not been set. It has not been 31 days since we gave them to the courts. So basically, the sex, has no legal ramifications? :eek:
YEs it very well can. What are your grounds for divorce? Are you sure you did not become pregnant from this encounter -- and dont' even try to say it is impossible because you used a condom or were on the pill or patch or whatever else. So it very well can have legal ramifications.
One of the first questions I ask my clients is when the last booty call with spouse was. The answer is important for a variety of reasons. If you stated it is irretrievably broken that is a lie and you have committed perjury because your knocking boots has proven that is wrong. Apparently it is not broken.

nextwife

YEs it very well can. What are your grounds for divorce? Are you sure you did not become pregnant from this encounter -- and dont' even try to say it is impossible because you used a condom or were on the pill or patch or whatever else. So it very well can have legal ramifications.
One of the first questions I ask my clients is when the last booty call with spouse was. The answer is important for a variety of reasons. If you stated it is irretrievably broken that is a lie and you have committed perjury because your knocking boots has proven that is wrong. Apparently it is not broken.
Well, depending on her age, it may very well be impossible to be pregnant. I mean, I'm 53, and there's no way I'm worried about getting pregnant accidentally.:D

LdiJ

Well, depending on her age, it may very well be impossible to be pregnant. I mean, I'm 53, and there's no way I'm worried about getting pregnant accidentally.:D
Me either...LOL...I turn the big 50 in 15 days.:D

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But unless she has completed menopause it is possible. Not likely but possible.

Gracie3787

Thank you, at age 51, I thought I was the oldest female poster here. You've made me feel young again.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">