• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sharing Lottery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GeeWhiz

What is the name of your state? Cailfornia

Do you have to share any lottery winnings with your spouse if won before you divorce?

gatorguy3

If it was before any "legal" separation then it would be considered an asset of the marriage. You will have to check your statutes to see what legal separation includes.

gatorguy3

Although, I have given much thought to what I would do if I found out I had the winning ticket. It would definitely involve someone else claiming the winnings. I would not wish to chance a split:)

Yes, I so love my ex. :eek:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

GeeWhiz said:
What is the name of your state? Cailfornia

Do you have to share any lottery winnings with your spouse if won before you divorce?

My response:

Yes. The proceeds from a cause of action based on a right that accrued during marriage are community property and divisible as such (unless otherwise provided by statute) even though not realized until after separation. [Marriage of Biddle (1997) 52 Cal.App.4th 396, 400, 60 Cal.Rptr.2d 569, 571-572 & fn. 5 (qui tam cause of action; analogizing to lottery ticket winnings)

And just in case you might get some sort of bright idea to try to hide the fact that you won, and decide to hide the money, just remember that a spouse who, during dissolution proceedings, deliberately hides assets or intentionally misrepresents or conceals facts bearing on the existence or value of community property interests is subject to the Family Law Code § 1101(h) 100% penalty for "fraud." [Marriage of Rossi (2001) 90 Cal.App.4th 34, 42, 108 Cal.Rptr.2d 270, 276--W's intentional concealment of lottery winnings from H constituted "fraud" within meaning of Ca Civil § 3294, resulting in 100% award of same to H pursuant to § 1101(h)]

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">