• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I file for divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sine648

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My husband and I have a Legal Separation. My husband is terminally ill and has filed for bankruptcy. I am listed as one of the creditors in the bankruptcy papers. I was completely unaware of his financial problems. I am beyond retirement age so I certainly would not be able to get a job. Would it still behoove me to file for divorce?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My husband and I have a Legal Separation. My husband is terminally ill and has filed for bankruptcy. I am listed as one of the creditors in the bankruptcy papers. I was completely unaware of his financial problems. I am beyond retirement age so I certainly would not be able to get a job. Would it still behoove me to file for divorce?
Quite possibly...I would recommend a sit down consult with a local attorney who could help you review the financial situation. That is going to be the crux of the whole matter. Basically you need to be protected from his debts to the extent that it is possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">