• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

should I file in my state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ellaine

What is the name of your state? Tx
I live in Texas but have decided to leave my abusive husband and move to another state. I have 1 child with him and have called the legal hotlines here and even though he's abusive I have been told that he has just as much right to her. I need to know how long you have to be a citizen to file for divorce in other states? I don't want to chance loosing my daughter to a man that beats me in front of her. I have been told that it's not illegal for me to leave the state but that he could file for divorce and custody before I could, does anyone have any advice? I do have him on tape threatening to kill me. Please help i'm running out of time.

valk

I was told that you have to be living in that state for 6 months before you can file in that state which for me was Georgia. I don't know if they are all the same but Wisconsin said 6 months also.

E

ellaine

I think it's universal in any state then, I don't know what they consider proof of residency then. I have even talked with the police today and explained that I am not a missing person when I leave and they said that I couldn't just disapear, so much for the battered wife assistance.

valk

I was told by the lawyer that if no-one can say that you weren't there for 6 months then there is no problem but if your husband says that you weren't gone for 6 months, or something like that then it will be thrown out and you have to start all over again.
They accept anything, a phone bill in your name, a ticket from the state, a changed drivers license. etc...
My lawyer advised me to wait the time.
If you leave the state, will your husband know where you are going since he obviously knows where your family lives?
Is there a place where you can go where he won't know where you are? Or what state you are in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">