• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I have a lawyer review my divorce paperwork?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kirkalab

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I just received my divorce paperwork from my husband's attorney. I've looked it over very carefully, and everything matches what we've agreed upon. The divorce is quite simple, no children, no property, no alimony, etc. It's pretty basic stuff. However I'm wondering if I should have an attorney look it over before I sign it and send it back. The one attorney I've contacted charges more than I can afford, and I'm thinking about just going without. What do you think?

I appreciate any responses in advance!

Silverplum

I just received my divorce paperwork from my husband's attorney. I've looked it over very carefully, and everything matches what we've agreed upon. The divorce is quite simple, no children, no property, no alimony, etc. It's pretty basic stuff. However I'm wondering if I should have an attorney look it over before I sign it and send it back. The one attorney I've contacted charges more than I can afford, and I'm thinking about just going without. What do you think?

I'd say, in YOUR circumstances, it'd be okay to go without an attorney.

But I urge you to wait for more responses. :)

mistoffolees

Personally, I don't make life-changing decisions without input from an attorney. It's a lot cheaper than a mistake.

Look at it this way. If it's that simple, it shouldn't cost too much to have an attorney look it over.

LdiJ

If its really that basic, and you feel that you understand all of the ramifications of what you are signing off on, then no, you don't need an attorney. There honestly are some divorces that are that basic/simple. However if there are any issues that you feel are unclear or could potentially come back and bite you, then you need legal advice.

In particular if there are debt issues in your name, that he is agreeing to cover, you probably need the advice of an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">