• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I leave?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leegarland32

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I have been married to my husband for 14 years. I have struggled with him and his drug abuse for 7 years+. The house that we live in is in my name only, in fact most all of the bills are in my name. I'm finding it very difficult to keep up paying the bills when most of his money goes to drugs. My 18 year old son lives in the home, as well as my step-daughter who is 21. He won't leave and doesn't care if the bills get paid or not. I realize I am enabling him to continue his habit cause the bills still get paid. Should I leave the home? I have no money and I can no longer live like this.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I have been married to my husband for 14 years. I have struggled with him and his drug abuse for 7 years+. The house that we live in is in my name only, in fact most all of the bills are in my name. I'm finding it very difficult to keep up paying the bills when most of his money goes to drugs. My 18 year old son lives in the home, as well as my step-daughter who is 21. He won't leave and doesn't care if the bills get paid or not. I realize I am enabling him to continue his habit cause the bills still get paid. Should I leave the home? I have no money and I can no longer live like this.
No, you should not leave the home. Its in your name and you will tank your credit if you do. You need to file for divorce or legal separation and ask for possession of the marital home.

xylene

You also need to realize that, in New York, your husband's drug problems may not give you grounds for immediate divorce.

Consult with a lawyer before taking any actions: even talking to your husband about divorce.

That is to say don't threaten to divorce him to get him to change - it won't work, it will backfire. Talk to a lawyer and divorce him.

Cupcake

get him out

file for a divorce as soon as you can. your husband needs rehab and as long as iut doesnt come from him, no one can ever chnage him. 7 years is a long time so i dont think he will ever chnage. wish him the best and move on with ur own life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">