• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I move out if She wants the separation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

ggs

What is the name of your state? Washington.

My wife of 17 years told me about a month ago she is unhappy and turned my world upside down? We have 3 kids, 14, 12, 12. I feel wrong about moving out when I haven't done anything? I am a great father and my kids are very upset with my wife right now. I spent last night at some friends but it seems wrong. Legally I think it could cause a problem for me as we have no formal separation contract. We do have several family witnesses. Should I move back in and have her leave if she feels so strongly about the separation?

Thanks,
Glenn

kat1963

Come on Glenn, this is war, divorce is just a subtitle. Move back in, see a bull dog of a family lawyer IMMEDIATELY (you should have done it sooner!). Call your state Bar Association for a free/low cost referral, ask for *the best* lawyer in your area. She's the one that wants OUT, let her move OUT, and NO she is NOT taking the children and disrupting their lives as well. You will be filing for custody, support and use of the marital home until the youngest child is 18 (or 21)...for starters, thing will probably be neg. later, but you have to do this now or potentially wind up as a visitor in your children's life. Meanwhile, CANCEL any joint credit cards & bank accounts. Things are bound to get nasty! Stop being Mr. Nice Guy. She told you were you stand, now it's time to take one of your own.
Good Luck and see a lawyer NOW (and NO, don't tell her about it, part of war is the element of SUPRISE!)
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">