• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I stay or go??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jackieo1

I need to divorce my husband!! He is an alchoholic, (though he is in denial!) He drinks everyday, even @ 10:00 in the morning, but only on the weekends, (still no excuse). We've been married for 3 years and he bought our house before the marriage. We also have a 2 year old daughter who is now being affected by his alcoholism due to the fights that we've had and the fact that I've had to call the police on him several times already for becoming beligerant and upsetting her. ( Once for physically assalting me while I was driving my car) I need to know when I file, will I still be able to live in the house (don't have the money to move right now) and also if my car is in his name, could I still keep it (he pays for it) or would I be able to just leave with my daughter when I get the money to move?? I need to know this ASAP!!!

E

egmathey

Jackieo 1

Before someone else tells you this, I suggest you give the state you are from. Due to differences in state laws, the lawyers who help on this site will need that information to better advise you.
Also, in my state (Indiana) one cannot use such things as alcoholism as a reson for divorce since Indiana is a no-fault state.

Has your husband ever considered going to Alcoholics Anonymous? They have a good program that has helped many people gets their lives back.

Good luck.

D

dorenephilpot

The court might order him out of the house temporarily and might order him to pay the car payment temporarily.

But most likely, if the house is in his name and he plans to keep it, then you're going to end up being the one to move eventually.

It makes more sense for you to move out, rather than have him move out and then move back in later so that you can move out later.

Here are your options: If you don't have the money to move, you need to start saving up to do it, move in with a relative, move to a shelter -- or continue to put up with him.

If you are an able-bodied woman, long term, the court isn't going to order you to stay in the house, with him making payments, and you to keep the car, with him making payments.

You would, however, be entitled to child support.

In the year 2002, the courts expect that able-bodied adults can be expected to support themselves and their children and provide themselves and their children with places to live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">