• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should the retainer be paid without any info given??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MaybeBaby

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I have the money to pay an attorney, the one I spoke to had his secretary arrange for me to come in so I could pay the retainer. He was not at the office, but they expected me to pay.

Is this how it works? I only had an initial consultation- I told the attorney I wanted to file for support and equitable distrubution. Isn't there supposed to be some kind of contract we sign or list of things included in the retainer? I really hope this isn't a red flag and its just miscommunication......

Please tell me what all I should be asking for before or after I make the payment. Thank you.

seniorjudge

Isn't there supposed to be some kind of contract we sign or list of things included in the retainer?

Yes.

Do not give any lawyer any money until there is a contract you have both read and understand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">