• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sick child when with non-custodial parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redred71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I am the custodial parent of my two children. My ex-husband is remarried. On a visitation weekend one of my children became ill. I was not called to be informed of the illness AND my child was taken for medical care by the new wife without my consent--not my ex-husband. I have a huge issue with this situation. What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future?? Can the medical facility be held accountable for giving medical care without my consent??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

I am the custodial parent of my two children. My ex-husband is remarried. On a visitation weekend one of my children became ill. I was not called to be informed of the illness AND my child was taken for medical care by the new wife without my consent--not my ex-husband. I have a huge issue with this situation. What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future?? Can the medical facility be held accountable for giving medical care without my consent??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What specifically does your divorce decree say about custody? More often than not, both parties have joint legal custody even when one has primary physical custody. If that's the case, your ex-husband has every bit as much right to order medical care.

So what if his new wife drove the kids to the doctor? How do you know that he didn't approve whatever treatment was offered? There is this wonderful gadget called a telephone which allows people to stay in touch when they're not physically present.

But even more importantly, just what the heck is the issue? Would it have been better if the kids weren't taken to the doctor? Sure, let the kids suffer and sicken because you can't get off your high horse about the fact that the father has remarried and the kids now have a step mother.

Even if you could somehow make a case for suing, just what are the damages? You had sick kids and now they're better? Good luck taking that one to the judge.

kimberlywrites

I think what she's saying is she feels she should have been called and given the option to take the child to the doctor herself.
Cuz, you know, dads are idiots and don't know anything. Doubly-so for the new wife.:rolleyes:

Gracie3787

Do you call your ex every single time that your child is ill, or needs to go to the Dr?

Proserpina

You'd be screaming about malpractice if they refused to treat your child because they weren't sure who could legally give consent....

Seriously. If there's something serious going on, do you really want them to hold off on treating her just so they can find you and get your permission? For real?

:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">