• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing over assets before divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

judgebrown

What is the name of your state?
Texas if you are about to get a divorce and you have assets you do not want your spouse to get like retirement can you just sign everything over to someone else in order to prevent your spouse from claiming half of it?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

judgebrown said:
What is the name of your state?
Texas if you are about to get a divorce and you have assets you do not want your spouse to get like retirement can you just sign everything over to someone else in order to prevent your spouse from claiming half of it?

My response:

Unless the property and funds were "separate property" before the marriage, then what you're suggesting is useless in Texas.

Texas is a community property State. So, anything accumulated during the marriage with "community" funds and earnings belong to the both of you. In other words, Texas, like California, is a "What's mine is yours, and what's yours is mine" State.

For example (and this is really oversimplified), let's say you own a 1979 Cadillac El Dorado convertible - - the last year of the big, huge convertibles. The car, due to its rarity, is worth $50,000.00 today. You give the car to me (to hide it) and you sign all transfer papers.

Guess what? You'd owe half of it's value to your spouse anyway, and you wouldn't be able to get the car back from me because 1) I like it, and 2) all the title documents are in my name. It's mine.

So, in a Community Property State like Texas, there's always a paper trail to property and funds. Your gambit will be discovered - - believe me. You're not the only person who has tried this type of thing. It goes on all the time. And, it always backfires - - especially when the "Income and Expense Declarations" are signed under oath, and penalty of perjury. Once your lie is found out, judges have ways of dealing with perjurers.

IAAL

J

judgebrown

What to do?

So should I just go ahead and get a prenup and hope she wont go through the u do not trust me thing

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: What to do?

judgebrown said:
So should I just go ahead and get a prenup and hope she wont go through the u do not trust me thing

My response:

Do you even know what you're talking about?

Either you're fooling yourself, fooling me, or you're just very ignorant. I can't figure out which.

First, you come here giving me a question about an impending divorce, and now you're talking about a prenuptial agreement.

Which is it pal - - are you divorcing, or are you getting married?

IAAL

J

judgebrown

You got it all wrong.

No No I just started saving up for retirement when I was 17 and just tryin to plan ahead after all u know hald of all marriages end in divorce. So what do u think?

H

hexeliebe

Here's what I think

There's a little shop in Witchita Falls, Tx just outisde the Air Force base that sells latex blow-up dolls. But a few of these and when one gets a leak you'll always have a second.

That's the only way you'll be 100% sure you'll keep all your money after a divorce, not have a problem with any pre-nuptial or never have to get married and 'take a chance'

Hell, life's a chance. You get run over by a truck today someone is going to get your money.

stephenk

IAAL, Judge has been posting the same inane question over and over and over. He is 23 and saved some money and is posting questions as his friend, then himself, getting married, getting divorced, etc.

He is worse than Scrooge McDuck.

M

manda2020

you, your friend, or whoever is getting married this time

There are several types of economic fault. They are:

dissipation of assets,

hiding assets,

diverting marital or community income to pay for an addiction,

spending marital or community income on an extramarital relationship,

excessive or abnormal spending,

destruction of property,

the fraudulent sale or conveyance of property, and

any other unfair conduct that prevents the court from making an equitable division of property.

Some divorcing spouses believe that once they are separated and a divorce filed that marital misconduct, especially adultery or economic fault, has no effect on the outcome in a divorce. That isn't actually the case. Each divorce is very fact specific and the same logic about the impact of marital misconduct on the division of property applies whether it occurred prior to the separation or during the pendency of a divorce. This is particularly true for economic misconduct.
There are some states that have statutes that specifically permit a court to award a disproportionate or lesser share of property to an offender-spouse, particularly if the misconduct can be classified as economic. The facts of each particular divorce play a heavy role in how the court applies the law.
In cases that involve the dissipation, hiding or destruction of assets, the excessive or abnormal spending of income, or the fraudulent conveyance of assets the court can't increase the size of the marital or community estate that actually exists. However, it can order a disparate division of the existing and known property to reimburse the victim-spouse for his or her loss in the couple's estate.
In addition to having a possible effect on the division of property, marital misconduct may also have an effect on the amount of spousal support an ex-spouse may receive provided he or she qualifies for such support. This can work both ways. If the spouse who may be entitled to receive support is guilty of the misconduct, his or her receipt of support may be in jeopardy depending upon the nature and level of the misconduct. On the other hand, a paying spouse might have to pay more, especially if his or her behavior caused the victim-spouse to give up or reduce the ability to earn income.
The following states take marital fault into consideration when determining an award of spousal support: Alabama, Arizona, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming. (Source: American Bar Association, Family Law Quarterly, Winter 1998, Tables Summarizing the Law in Fifty States)

http://www.smartdivorce.com/articles/misconduct.shtml

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">