• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing over a home...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xoxoPixiexoxo

What is the name of your state? Va
My mother and father have been separated since 1996...The home we live in is in my father's name, but my mom has been paying for it since he left. I was 16 at the time with a younger sister and being that we decided to stay with our mom, we were awarded the residence. He was ordered to pay alimony and child support until my sister and I turned 18. He payed off and on over the past almost 9 years and still owes 10's of thousands of dollars in back support and alimony. My mom has recently filed for divorce and we are worried that my father will not sign the house over. He has had no part in paying on it, nor has he lived here and he has refused up to this point to sign the home over. He thinks that he has no responsibility for the support (becuase sis and I are over 18 now) and alimony and also believes that he will recieve half of the profits if mom sells the house. Being that he owes that much money to us, would he be entitled to any of the profits? Also, is there any way to legally get him to sign the house over whether he wants to or not seeing that he has not contributed in any payments or upkeep of the property?

S

seniorjudge

Q: Being that he owes that much money to us, would he be entitled to any of the profits?

A: The back support will have to be paid off before he can sell; it's a lien on the land.

Q: Also, is there any way to legally get him to sign the house over whether he wants to or not seeing that he has not contributed in any payments or upkeep of the property?

A: Yes. It's called a judge.

And stop driving so fast, young lady!

xoxoPixiexoxo

So ya think the judge would would be sympathetic to us? It's not that I don't love my dad and all, but he has really screwed us through the years and I am tired of him "holding us hostage" in our home...And lol...I'm a pretty good girl, in fact, I haven't driven but twice since I have gotten the ticket because it freaked me out so much...lol

LdiJ

xoxoPixiexoxo said:
So ya think the judge would would be sympathetic to us? It's not that I don't love my dad and all, but he has really screwed us through the years and I am tired of him "holding us hostage" in our home...And lol...I'm a pretty good girl, in fact, I haven't driven but twice since I have gotten the ticket because it freaked me out so much...lol
Your mom needs to have a good attorney and to make sure that the attorney knows the full facts regarding the child support arrearages and the home. The attorney will be able to get your mom a fair settlement.

xoxoPixiexoxo

Thank you...I hope so...Just a shame that lawyers are so expensive...lol It is costing me $700+ to get a divorce - I paid $60 to get married! My divorce is uncontested, no kids, property, nothing; but my mom and dad's will be like 3 times that because he wants to be difficult...But like I said, thank you... :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">